Film 4/52: Dark City - Director's Cut (1998)

Dark City was Alex Proyas' follow up to The Crow, a film that I really loved. So I can't explain how it is that we somehow missed seeing this one theatrically. We opted to screen the director's cut, which after reading up on the differences, I'm glad we did. It sounds like one of the big differences was an explanatory opening narration in the theatrical cut (shades of Blade Runner?) that we ultimately didn't feel was necessary to enjoy the film.

I can't look at the film and not see visual echoes of The Crow, so I was not surprised to see that both films were shot and edited by the same people. I must admit I was surprised to find that Alex McDowell, The Crow's production designer, did not work on the film, given the visual similarities (and use of miniatures, etc.). The film has interesting period/contemporary design elements akin to Walter Hill's Streets of Fire, and a pinch of Clive Barker's cenobites right out of Hellraiser.  

Rufus Sewell plays John Murdoch, who wakes to find himself without any memories in a strange world where no matter how much time passes, daytime never seems to arrive. Jennifer Connelly is great as Murdoch's wife (and does a nice job in the couple of scenes her character sings on stage), and William Hurt is really good as the classic noir detective caught up in the mysterious goings-on. While I generally like Kiefer Sutherland, his performance here as Murdoch's somewhat eccentric doctor isn't a favorite of mine. That said, the crew that portray the mysterious figures (including Rocky Horror's Richard O'Brien and The Road Warrior's Bruce Spence) controlling what goes on in the dark city are quite good. 

I give Proyas credit for taking things in directions I did not anticipate. I don't want to spoil anything, but it can be refreshing to watch a film that doesn't unfold in a very conventional manner. Of course, folks who don't like unconventional stories may not appreciate where this one goes, so your mileage may vary. 

All in all, another film I'm glad to have finally caught up with, and one that was worthy of watching on the big screen. (I'm glad I decided to follow the alphabet path to guide us on this tour of the Slaughtered Lamb Cinema Library!)  



P.S. I did appreciate an easter egg on a theater marquee that said COMING SOON - BOOK OF DREAMS. That's another one of Alex's projects — the first part of which, Frank's Dream, was written by my pal David J. Schow, who had worked with Alex on The CrowAs a bonus, you can check out Frank's Dream here:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film 7/52: The Green Slime (1968)

Film 3/52: The Collector (1965)

Film 49/52: Warlords of Atlantis (1978)