Film 38/52: Last Year at Marienbad (1961)

Wow. This was an experience. I don't recall where I first saw the trailer for Last Year at Marienbad, but I was immediately compelled to order a copy, as well as a box set of films by Alain Robbe-Grillet. 

Take a look at this shot below. Study it. If you find it particularly compelling, this movie is for you. If you are not impressed, then this film is probably not for you.


It's no secret that I'm a big David Lynch fan. Or that a number of films that I love challenge the viewer by not explaining everything that they're seeing. Last Year at Marienbad is a film that I expect we'll revisit to explore the elements (some observed, some overlooked) that we may not have understood as we made our way through it the first time. 

I generally prefer to watch films in their original language, subtitled in English rather than dubbed, though I will admit that I was disappointed having to take my attention away from what I was seeing in the frame in order to read the subtitles; almost assuredly missing out on beautiful shots and compositions, if not important details presented onscreen. 

I plan to read the script before my next viewing, which I hope will allow me more freedom to immerse myself in the photography and the small yet clearly important details the filmmakers have stitched throughout the film. 

So glad to have picked this one for viewing during our 52 Pick-Up series. The amazing location and beautiful photography are well served on the big screen. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Three Musketeers/The Four Musketeers/Return of the Musketeers (1973/1974/1989)

Film 49/52: Warlords of Atlantis (1978)

Film 7/52: The Green Slime (1968)